Week 3 Project development – the first image – 11.02.20
I am going to keep a photographic record of where I am with the development of the first image during week 3 on this page, and add to it as the week continues.
11.02.20 – This image was actually taken on 10.02.20 . So far the room has finished being plastered, which has started drying much quicker than the plaster base coat, which took weeks, so I don’t think I will be able to utilise the damp mottled plaster that I originally wanted too in my image as a metaphor for the role teachers play in moulding and shaping their students, and how fragile, and ‘new’ they are. I have also decided to look at including the map you can see on the right here in the image to make it visually more apparent you will be looking at a ‘school’
Fig 2 left, Graham, Rebecca. 2020. iPhone image. Fig 3, Graham, Rebecca. 2020. iPhone image.
Today I cleared out the room, tidied everything up in there, and tried a really simple set up of the map, chair and skirting that is to go up. I don’t like the chair, it looks far too staged and doesn’t go at all with what I am trying to do. The map/reward chart will hang over the plug so you won’t be able to see that.
I also tried out a square format , as you can see, however , I don’t like it, even though it frames the central focus of the image
I feel like the lines and horizons are all much better if image 1, however, I feel the chair looks oddly out of place in the first image. It definitely sit better in the image being angled in slightly. But, I still really don’t like the image at the moment which is very disappointing really.
Fig 4, Graham, Rebecca. 2020. iPhone image. Week 3 Project development – the fourth image – 11.02.20
I feel that image above is aesthetically much stronger than the square format above. It is, I think, simply a more interesting image to look at. I like the range of tone in it, and the shadows coming in from the left and above, like a ‘looming presence’ . It certainly isn’t a strong image (I am referencing the set up as this is an iPhone image, so wouldn’t be included in my WIP anyway) that I would include in my WIP, it is however moving in the right direction. I now need to clean the floor up, and get the skirting up. I also tried using plywood on the floor and considered making an inner cube of walls, and floor out of plywood for the chart to sit in. I am still considering this, however, because I am not even sure after these images I will continue with constructing this image, (as I don’t feel it is anywhere near strong enough composition wise or interesting enough at the moment) I feel it would be silly to spend money on something I may not continue with. That is a very nervous place to be in three , nearly four weeks into the module, and completely alien to me. I am very tempted right now to just get my camera out and start shooting some documentary as I originally intended to do this module. I will for now continue, even if it is to learn I hate this way of working, and am awful at it.
Fig 1, Graham, Rebecca. 2020. iPhone image. Week 3 Project development – the first image – 11.02.20
Fig 2 left, Graham, Rebecca. 2020. iPhone image. Week 3 Project development – the second image – 11.02.20
Fig 3, Graham, Rebecca. 2020. iPhone image. Week 3 Project development – the third image – 11.02.20